Understanding Plastic Products Manufacture Better
Plastic polymer manufacturers came up with the LDPE, LLDPE (Linear Low Density Polyethylene), HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) ratings as degradable plastic bags is not viable in a South African environment.
Quality of plastic bags is rated as follows:
LDPE – This stands for low-density polyethylene. Using LDPE plastic products means that the items are flexible, strong and they are made to high standards of product safety, in compliance with chemical inventories. LDPE products can withstand heat up to 45’ c without poisoning food drinks
It is wise however to not warm food or drinks in any plastic products
Recycling plastic bags
In South Africa, the DEAT (Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism) identified plastic bags a serious pollution hazard, resulting in plastic bags being charged for when used in grocery shopping, and a big drive to recycle plastics, and to reduce the negative impact of the current quality of plastic bags.
LDPE Quality Plastic bags can be used for:
Heavy duty thick micron bags
Industrial plastic packaging
Cost saving bags are made from recycled plastic, also called smokey bags
Using plastic bags safely:
Plastic can be toxic and leach chemicals into food and drinks
Plastic bags seal off air, thus can choke babies, animals, or unsuspecting life. Remember to dispense of it correctly eg Recycling
Never put your head inside a plastic bags
Old bags can recycled, used to crochet hats!
Glues and plastics can cause a chemical reaction, with fumes, melting and be a safety hazard. Read the glue’s instruction carefully to ensure you can use the glue with the plastic should you need to.
Plastic bag terminology:
- Smokey bags - Plastic bags made from recycled plastic material
- Bulk - Plastic product bought en mass
- LDPE - Linear Low Density Polyethylene
- HDPE - High Density Polyethylene. Known as no 2
- Polyethylene - base for plastic manufacture
- BPA - BisephonolA, a poison leaching into food and drink when exposed to heat or over time.
- Polycarbonate plastic - plastic used in consumer products, BPA has been reduced drastically in polycarbonate
- PET - also known as PETE, polyethylene terephthalate. The safer plastic for food and beverages. Not influenced by heat, reusable. Labeled as No 1
- PVC - Polyvinyl chloride known as no 3. Used in food wrap
Article Supplied by: